Thursday, February 01, 2007

Apartment Hunt: The Quickening

I always liked "Quickening" as a noun. I don't really understand what it means, but it really adds a sense of drama. And of course, after looking on the internet for the definition, I'm disappointed. I'm using it appropriately, but knowing exactly what it means removes some of the magic. Anyhooo...

Nelly and I have begun our search for a great new apartment in Manhattan. We started last week, with a quick in-and-out of a tiny seeming apartment. (Dingy bathroom.)

Yesterday we saw two apartments that we liked. They are both really nice and in very good places on the upper east and upper west sides. However, as you might expect from a nice apartment, they are both very pricey. Undaunted, we put in an application on a very nice 1BR on the upper east side (Elevator building).

The process of renting an apartment in the city is a heinous exercise in supplication to the arbitrary and fickle gods of housing. It's also quite humbling. Due to the fact that Nelly is in law school (and reports no income) and I am self-employed (so I pay myself very little), it's difficult to prove to these people that we'll be able to pay the rent.

While I understand their rationale, I find the implication that we wont be able to pay the rent insulting. Well we'll know soon enough whether the management company is willing to trust us. I'll let you know.

6 comments:

Could-be-a-model said...

Isn't The Quickening what happens when one immortal absorbs the powers of the immortal he has just killed, usually with the added side effect of lightening? You know, cause there can be only one.

Or am I the only one who has perhaps seen The Highlander far too many times?

Tom said...

You know, I had forgotten about Highlander. No wonder the word has such cool connotations. It's from Highlander! Well, in a way it's still appropriate for our apartment search as, in the end, there can be only one apartment!

your small american said...

Do you wear a kilt when you go to see these things?

We want pictures of the potential apartments! We want to vote!

I agree; it's insulting when people think you can't pay the rent. Or that you're riding the subway illegally. In general, people suck.

your small american said...

I protest that I did not get to excercize my democratic rights and vote on your apt.

keebler nelf said...

actually, we've decided to model the apartment selection process after castro's cuba, as an homage to the great, almost late, leader. therefore i think we all already agree that the apartment is a good one, and we will wave little flags (provided free to you by the Administration!) in celebration.

Tom said...

Raise your hand if you think Castro is an immortal. He's not sick, he's just hiding from Duncan Macleod of the Clan Macleod.