Monday, January 22, 2007

Children of Men is Cool

Nelly and I took a little time this weekend to go see Children of Men, which turned out to be a rather good idea. It's an interesting and thoughtful movie. Now usually that means there will be a ton of exposition and a lot of boring quasi-philosophical narration. But Children tells its story deftly and the details of this crazy mixed-up future-world seem to flow out naturally from a great script.

The one thing I would say is that, if you are receptive to the movie when you see it, you should prepare yourself for some strange dreams. This movie hews to our reality so closely that when it raises its unanswerable questions its effects are fairly chilling.

4 comments:

Could-be-a-model said...

Ugh, I hate it when movies make you think. I just want to see pretty people meet, face a few melodramatic and/or humorous obstacles, and fall in love, preferably in costume. Why can't they make more of those?

Tom said...

I think I know just the move for you: "Stomp the Yard"

Could-be-a-model said...

That looks like another movie about poor people over-coming social and economic injustice through dance. No thanks. Plus, the star of the movie banged Britney Spears, while his wife was pregnant (pattern anyone?). I could catch the clap sitting in the theatre.

your small american said...

But I overcame social and economic injustice through dance!