Thursday, March 17, 2005

Foxpro Just Wont Let Go

I am going to vent a little about Foxpro right here. So, if you're not really interested in what I do for a living, you can probably skip this post. And you know, depending on how cathartic this post is for me, I may be putting more technical stuff on this blog.

A WINDOW is one of the elements of the Visual Foxpro UI. We use it quite often in CATS. One instance in which we use the WINDOW widget is something we call "Anyscan". It looks like this. We use it to display records to the user so they can quickly and easily scan the data.

Normally, in foxpro these WINDOW things are very simple. They're easy to use and uncomplicated. That is, until I get my hands on them. I torture them, I make them into freakish mutants with super-powers. And they get me back by not behaving properly.

I have a window that wont go away. The commands which would shut down a normal window have no effect. I am the bank-robber shooting bullets at superman. My commands run and return with no errors, but the window remains, impervious. My creation is out of control.

The problem, I think, is that the window has an outstanding reference floating around somewhere in the code. Unfortunately for me, VFP provides few tools for determining where such a reference might be. I've used them all, to no avail. I'm not sure what the next step might be.

But in 40 minutes I get to go home. And my frankenstein window can run amok for another day.

No comments: