Wednesday, February 16, 2005

I'm not advocating file sharing

WASTE

Seriously, I'm not really advocating copyright violation. You can use it to share files between people you know. Regardless of where they are, what firewalls they're behind. It's completely secure, as long as everyone on the network can be trusted.

Which means that all my friends who want to send me files through AIM better get their crap together and set up WASTE.

I have my server set up at atnas.gotdns.org:51337. To connect, you need my public key (and I need yours).

Of course, Cablevision will randomly switch my IP every 3 days or so. Which kinda funks up the whole deal.

But that's what's great about DynDNS.org. Free Dynamic DNS! Sweet.

I should clarify. Dynamic DNS allows you to use the string "atnas.gotdns.org" which is then translated to whatever my current IP is (as long as I keep it updated). Since it's free, DynDNS could just pull up stakes and disappear. And then we're back to the stone-ages of raw IP addresses.

No comments: