Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Stay In Your Seat

I don't know what more can be said about this sorry incident. I mean, sure, the guy has probably seen more finals and important matches than anyone should have to bear, so maybe the thought of yet another Wimbledon final between the only two men who know how to play tennis anymore was just not that compelling to him.

Of course, after Rhoden left the Wimbledon final turned into a match for the ages (although, I mean, shouldn't we let the ages decide that sort of stuff). Still it's safe to say that in 20 years, people will be talking about watching this match with the sort of reverence applied to say McEnroe v. Borg. Except poor William Rhoden will have to tell the story about how walked out in the middle so he could watch a popcorn flick.

Sigh, I am disappointed for him.

6 comments:

Could-be-a-model said...

My blog is so much more interesting than yours. I mean, come on, I am doing a theme week on boobies and all you can post about is sports? Please. Pathetic.

Flustered said...

my apologies if this is the wrong "tom". but CBAM should be reminded that this "tom" character must talk about sports, as he has no british accent to redeem him and prove his manliness and is therefore useless.

it's not a great thing to start off on bad footing with an arab.

once again, if this is the wrong "tom", apologies. CBAM will clarify.

Tom said...

No no no. You've got it all wrong. The British accent is used in lieu of manliness. It's designed to make you think of Lawrence of Arabia and James Bond and distract you from all the tea-drinking, cricket playing and queen worshiping.

In many ways, having a blog detracts from my manliness. Fortunately I am very studly and have a plethora of manliness (ala, El Guapo), so I can waste a little here.

Since I am so macho, a British accent would really just be rubbing it in.

your small american said...

I churtle to read that somewhere in the world, people think British accents are manly! I'd always thought the opposite.

I'm also surprised that The Times ran the guy's column with the news hook, as the blogger noted, being "I walked out of a stunning tennis match to see "Hancock" with Will Smith." But he was on vacation and just blogging, not reporting, right? Still, too bad! Makes me think of a certain girl I know who left a Superbowel party to catch "The L Word" and missed the Giant's world-historical defeat of the Pats.

Tom said...

I don't know what a superbowel party is. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be invited. This seems like yet another way that The Man is keeping me down.

your small american said...

Woops, did I spell something wrong?