Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hard, Manly Work

So the past couple days my father and I have been doing a little fixing up outside the house.

See, in years past a gutter on the back of the house overflowed which caused serious water damage behind the ceramic tiles. Later, squirrels were able to make use of the compromised wood and fiberglass insulation to make a nest.

This one particular portion of the house (about 4 feet by 20 feet) was pretty messed up. So my father and I (really my father) took it upon ourselves to man up and fix this crap.

And fix it we did. Step one: carefully remove the tiling (this was hard). Step two: remove the rotten wood and insulation (not hard). Step three: put in new insulation (easy). Step four: install new plywood sheets over the insulation (tricky). Step five: re-install the tiling (really hard).

The job is now complete (except for some touching up that needs to happen to make it look all pretty). And I gotta say, we did a pretty bang-up job. But I definitely don't want to work in construction. Being on a ladder for long stretches, hammering, crowbarring, drilling, measuring, sawing, hammering again... it's mindless, boring, and dangerous all together. Fabu!

4 comments:

Could-be-a-model said...

You are very manly. Oh so manly. The manliest of them all.

Tom said...

Not that anyone should be surprised by that.

Anonymous said...

So we won't be seeing a new construction start up in the Rockland area called New Construction Systems

Tom said...

I would say that would be very unlikely