Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Quest For A Stat Tracker

So, a few weeks ago, Laurie pointed me at a online tool named "Sitemeter". It's a little icon you put on your webpage which then lets you know how many people are visiting your site.

They're apparently not that good about respecting the privacy of their users.

So I went looking for alternatives.

I found StatCounter. They seem like they're on the up-and-up. But I couldn't get my online registration to work. I registered and put the counter up, but they wouldn't let me log in.

So I moved on.

Now I have RiteCounter. Which seems decent enough.

And now I've found a website dedicated to the discussion and review of free web stat trackers. And it tells me that while RiteCounter is fine, it's not the best because it only keeps about a months worth of data. So out with RiteTracker and in with OneStatFree... We'll see how long this one lasts.

About two seconds. I don't like the way the stats page looks on OneStatFree, so I bailed on them and went over to W3Counter who have a good rep, pretty stat pages, and no ads.

5 comments:

Could-be-a-model said...

What do you mean by "respecting the privacy of their users"?

Tom said...

Apparently SiteMeter tries to tag everyone that views sites they're monitoring with cookies of SpecificClick which is an ad/spyware company.

Basically, turning blogs that use SiteMeter into little spies monitoring people's web habits and selling that information to advertisers.

Anonymous said...

Google Analytics

NDS said...

Hmmm, but it's so complicated!

your small american said...

I took mine down.