Monday, April 17, 2006

Rav Down, But Not Out

This weekend was rather interesting. On friday we had some friends over to warm our apartment. It wasn't a big thing, but many fabulous people came and there was some joyous celebrating.

While all this was going on, my car (a dependable Toyota Rav4) decided that it's exhaust pipe was too heavy to hold and so it was just going to let it lie on the ground. I only found this out when I was driving guests to catch the last train out of Montclair. Along with the tell-tale no-muffler engine sound there was a sickening screech. After dropping off guests at the train station, I looked under the car to find the exhaust pipe hanging onto the car by the muffler. It apparently had rusted through where the pipe met the engine. Quality!

Geico, of course, wouldn't cover it. So I called AAA in the morning to schedule a tow. The tow-truck arrived 40 minutes later, except it was the wrong tow-truck. The Rav4, being a n all-time four-wheel drive vehicle cannot be towed by a standard tow-truck. It requires a flat-bed. The tow-truck guy said the flat-bed would be there in 20 minutes. 50 minutes later I decided to call AAA again and see what the deal was. They said that the truck was coming and would be there within a half-hour.

Exactly a half-hour later, the truck arrived. The driver was friendly enough, and hauled my car to the toyota dealership in West Caldwell. Where it has been sitting since. They didn't look at it on Saturday and, as far as I know, they haven't looked at it today.

Meanwhile, I was able to rent a car from Enterprise (10% AAA Discount) for the weekend. We got a Chevy Cobalt. The tow-truck fiasco kept us from getting to ultimate practice, but Nelly and I were able to attend a bar-b-q in Long Island. And then head up to Connecticut to do Easter with her mother's family. Whee!

Happy Easter!

Happy birthday Paul!

No comments: