Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I cannot maintain indignation

Perhaps it's all the cable tv and free internet. Or maybe it's just the volume of rediculousness that bombards me at every moment. But I just cannot maintain a sufficient level of indignation. I get in the car, I turn on the radio and the Attorney General is telling Congress that whatever the law says isn't their concern and they should just butt out.

And I am steaming when I get out of the car. However, once I get to the door, I have lost almost all that angry energy.

Perhaps it's something in the water.

And I have been thinking about posting about this whole wiretap issue for a while.

Meanwhile, have you seen the... err... "Mohammad Cartoons" They're not too hard to find, online. Most people I've talked to haven't actually seen the cartoons themselves. Mostly because American papers and media refuse to publish the images. Without having seen the images (but judging by the reaction in the Muslim world) I think a lot of people assume they're seriously offensive cartoons.

They're not. But the people in Lebanon are burning danish flags and embassies regardless. Regardless of the fact that this has nothing to do with the Danish embassy or the government of Denmark. Regardless of the fact that the images were published months and months ago and the Editor of the newspaper that published them had appologized. They're still going balistic in the middle east. (And the violence has spread now beyond anti-Denmark and onto anti-everybody.)

That's the sort of indignation that I am talking about. Perhaps that's why I cannot sustain my anger over Bush and company's power-grab, because all the anger in the world is already in use.

No comments: