Friday, September 01, 2006

Do Music Videos Suck Now?

With my thoughts turning to bling, I read with interest an article in the Times about the MTV Video Music Awards. Because why have bling if you can't show it to all the kids on MTV?

Sadly, though, according to the article, the music video as I remember it is going the way of the Dodo. It would appear that the epic, multi-million dollar mini-movie is fading into oblivion. Replacing it, apparently, are home-made movies.

It makes sense, considering that seeing a music video on television is increasingly rare. The majority of videos, so I hear, are viewed on the web. So what? That doesn't mean they have to suck... right? Right?

But wait. Look at this heinous piece of crap (L'il John -- you dissapoint me in so many ways). It almost makes me want to despair.

And just when I've lost all hope, something amazing happens. Like this. And then, you know, to top that, the same band (OK Go) does this. Crazy!

But the best thing about the offloading of video playing responsibilities onto the internet, is that you can pick what you watch.

No comments: