Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A "DaVinci Code" Stupor

I went to see DaVinci Code last night. The theater was absolutely packed. There was a palpable tension in the air... and then they played twenty minutes of ads and trailers. And I forgot what movie we were actually there to see.

I had heard some of the criticisms of the movie, but hoped that since I didn't ever even consider reading the book, I would be able to enjoy the film on its own merits. Unfortunately, it really doesn't have that many merits.

Other than making the audience laugh at inappropriate times, Ron Howard manages to remove any emotion from the performances of Tom Hanks or Audrey Tautou. The script banks on their growing affection for each other, but neither character ever exhibits anything more than a passing interest in the other.

The movie plays as almost a direct rip-off of National Treasure which was itself a play on the popularity of the "DaVinci Code" book. The movies have obvious similarities (e.g. pasty, unappealing lead actors) but National Treasure is much livelier and more interesting.

I say that and I didn't even really like National Treasure. But it seems like a gleaming masterpiece after seeing this plodding, pointless and pedantic picture.

No comments: