Monday, April 25, 2005

Beth Coltman Memorial Tourney

Spent the weekend in bizarro-world (aka Delaware) playing ultimate at Cape Henlopen in Lewes, DE. Delaware is a weird state. It seems to consist of two highways and nothing else. Gotta be weird to live there. But it's always a nice place to have a tournament.

The weather was supposed to be miserable so I left my camera at home. Otherwise I might have a picture or two to share.

It was a fun tournament. The fields are some of the best we get to play on throughout the year, which makes this tournament a pleasure. The weather was not nearly as bad as they had predicted. Instead of thunderstorms on Saturday, we had a sprinkle or two and a fairly strong breeze. But the sun came out on both days (if only for a minute at a time) and the camera would have been fine.

My team did not do all that well. Considering that we never practiced together and this was our first time playing, we did pretty well. By sunday, we had coalesced nicely into something resembling a team.

We had a good time and played against some spirited teams (with one exception). I played all the ultimate I wanted. Considering that I was going in with a strained right shoulder (throwing arm), I think I played pretty well. Overall, I give it three and a half stars.

Your Mom has a new captain, a lot of new players and that same old "whatever, let's drink some beers" attitude. Maybe, with some practicing and a little luck, we'll actually be able to build up a competitive team. But you know, there are worse fates than drinking a beer between points on a beautiful sunday afternoon.

No comments: