Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Is This Wedding Pants-Optional?

This past weekend, my good friend Kari got married to Ashton Lamont in beautiful Colchester, VT. It was a nice ceremony and the whole thing went by in a rush. Kari's dress was beautiful and everyone was in good spirits. It was great to see Kari again as she has been living in far-distant Milwaukee for a few years now.

I was pretty excited to get to wear my nice Brooks Brother's suit to the occasion. It's rare that I have an opportunity to wear nice clothing (usually I walk around in pajamas). So I grabbed the suit from the closet (it was wrapped up in a nice Brooks Brother's garment bag) and Nelly and I got in the car and drove for 5 hours.

The best way to get to the Burlington, VT area is to take the thruway up towards Montreal and then take the ferry at Essex, NY. It's actually a very pleasant way to travel and it saves time!

While we were on the ferry I turned to Nelly and said, "How funny would it be if I forgot my pants." And she was like, "Well, why don't you check now?"

So I got out of the car and opened up the garment bag and I was like, "Yup. Pants." And then I got back in the car and said something to the effect of, "How funny would it be if I brought your suit. Thankfully you don't have a Brooks Brother's suit." And Nelly said, "In fact, I do have a Brooks Brother's suit."

And then I thought, "Well that explains where that nice Brooks Brother's garment bag came from." And I went out and opened up the garment bag again and this time I checked the tag. Now I don't know much about sizes, but I am damn sure I am not a size 2. ARRRRGH!

So there we were, in the middle of Lake Champlain, the evening before Kari's wedding and I didn't have squat to wear. Fortunately we knew how to call for free information (1-800-FREE-411) and got the listing for a Men's Wearhouse in Williston, VT. We were able to get over there just before they closed and I picked up a nice blazer and slacks. No one at the party was the wiser. You know, I did like the way I looked.

1 comment:

your small american said...

That's hilarious. Especially the part where you are in the middle of Lake Champlaign on a ferry when you figure this all out.

Does the ferry run all the time, by the way? Did you have to wait for it?