Monday, June 12, 2006

I Don't Want to Know!

Some of you may know that I am recording the World Cup games so I can watch them after work. As such, I have developed a whole new web-based game that I can play with myself. It's called "Don't Learn the Score!!!"

I have quickly learned that The New York Times loves to post the latest results with a big picture on their website (recently Nelly fell prey to this viscious ploy). Many sports-blogs also like to explicitly post the score as soon as it is available (or even in REAL TIME!!). On my ride home, NPR likes to spring the results on the unwary listener about ten times every hour.

Now, as much as I enjoy this new game, I have to admit, finding out the score before I can watch the game really really sucks!

Look, news outlets, I appreciate that you are trying to communicate the day's news, but you're really ruining it for for me. Cover up the score! Just say "if you want to know who won, click here!" If you're speaking the news, say "I am about to reveal the scores of today's world cup matches..." So that I have time to turn the radio off before you ruin the whole thing for me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

EXACTLY. how am i expected to procrastinate when the times is carelessly broadcasting soccer scores all over the place?!

Could-be-a-model said...

But when you record the games, you miss the best part: turning the volume down on the telly and listening to commentary of the announcers on Spanish radio. It's just not World Cup unless there's someone screaming
"GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAL"

Tom said...

hmmm, that guy died :(

your small american said...

I think there should be scores. We should choose the winning team according to which country is most friendly and has the best fan jerseys (Croatia) and which fans I saw drinking at 8:45 this morning (Croatia).

Could-be-a-model said...

Damn, we should totally be in Germany right now for World Cup. That way we too could be drinking with YSA and the Croats at 8:45 in the morning.

Tom said...

Hey Yeah! If we can convince FIFA to allow the US to host the tournament, maybe we can get them to run it like American Idle! And Paula Abdul can hit on the soccer players.

your small american said...

Why don't you guys come to Berlin? We can go in the mini stadium together! It only costs 3 Euros to go in. Bathtubs full of beer cost extra.