Monday, June 19, 2006

Cars is A Movie About Cars

Yesterday, through the heat and the air stagnation advisory Nelly and I went to see Cars. It was an okay movie. There's nothing really to complain about with Cars. But nothing all that grand about it either. The reviews are mostly positive, ranging from "not bad" to "best since Toy Story". I think I fall into the lower edge of the "not bad" spectrum.

I'll admit there some touching moments. I got a kick out of seeing the car-talk guys doing their schtick. And the automotive prowess (and thick accents) of Luigi (Tony Schaloub) and his Italian only helper Guido (Guido Quaroni) were endearing. But, I gotta say, the most lighthearted and truly fun moment in the whole film came after the credits started to roll.

I read a glowing review of Cars that made a big deal of the way Pixar captures the beauty of those drive-across-america views. And if you can remember driving down Route 66 in the back-seat of the family station-wagon, you might enjoy reminiscing along with Cars. Me, I don't have that experience, I am too young. And I think, so are the kids being brought to see this movie.

It should be noted that while we were watching the movie a family of six was struggling to reign in their two 4-year old twin boys. I can't decide if it's significant that the children in the theater weren't all that interested in the movie. If it was only those two rambuctious kids in front of us, or if other toddlers were getting bored with the dialogue and waiting for something squishy to jump out from behind all the boring, endlessly talking cars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think you give too little credit to the script writers in the movie. the jokes were truly funny and the moral of the story, while not exactly original, managed to develop sweetly and without any squirm-inducing moments (unless you're the four year olds in front of us).

plus they are talking cars!! hilarious!