Monday, December 05, 2005

The Transition Begins

Whatever had been plaguing my blog has been resolved. I believe that somehow my hosting service was mirroring my website on two different computers. Changes to one didn't end up showing up on the other, or showed up only partially. It was very strange.

And frustrating... So frustrating that I have given up on self-hosting my blog and moved over to blogspot. I've begun moving my posts (starting in January '05) over. The move's been surprisingly easy.

I'm a little apprehensive about moving my blog into the maintstream blogosphere. What if something happens? Blogger is owned by Google who, so far, have turned out to be pretty good. So though I still despair over this transition I do feel a little less uncomfortable.

Also, Blogger has some nice tools. They have inline editing, which is really great. They have comment moderation and CAPTCHA. Both of which were lacking on my other site. I think you can also search. And they do all the hosting.

The thing that Blogger doesn't do is categories. And they don't do directory-style grouping the way Bloxsom does. Good ol' Bloxsom. On Bloxsom I can get all the articles from 2005. All the articles from a specific Month or Day. All the articles on a particularly subject. Ohhhh... I miss my Bloxsom already.

But mainly, Blogger is taking away the responsibility of maintaining my own blog and scripts. All I have to do is come up with inane chatter. Phew!

No comments: